Tornadoes, Thunderstorms, Straight-line Winds, Floods, Fire, Earthquakes, Winter Storms and Power Outages are hazards Pike County has experienced in the past and we will experience these hazards in the future. Therefore, it is important that we are aware of our surroundings and are PREPARED to take care of Ourselves, Family, Friends, Neighbors and Animals in advance.
This is a supply kit that will help you and your family survive until emergency personnel are able to reach you. Disaster kits are tailored to your family. They take into account the people living in your house. Indiana Department of Homeland Security wants you to be prepared for any disaster that might take place. Taking action now will help you and your family be more prepared for any emergency. It may take emergency personnel up to 3 days to reach you; therefore, the kits are designed for 3 days. Each kit will include basic items like water, food, flash light, battery powered radio, and a first aid kit.
One gallon of water per person per day. This is both for drinking and sanitary purposes.
- For 3 days, one person needs at least 3 gallons of water.
- Store in clean plastic containers.
- The hotter it is, the more water you may need.
- Sick, injured, children, and nursing mothers may need more as well.
3-day supply of non-perishable food. Make sure to store foods that require no preparation, no refrigeration, and very little water if any. Such As:
- Protein bars
- Canned meats
- Dry cereal
- Dry milk
- Peanut butter
- Baby Formula (if applicable)
- Crackers etc…
First Aid Kit
- Latex gloves
- Petroleum jelly
- Sterile dressings
- Soap or hydrogen peroxide
- Antibiotic ointment
- Prescription medication and supplies
- Over-the-counter pain reliever
- Anti-diarrhea medication
Other Needed Items
- Wrench to Shut Off Gas and Water
- Can Opener (manual not powered)
- Eating Utensils
- Paper Cups, Plates, & Towels
- Flashlight and Extra Batteries (NO candles – open flames could cause an explosion if there is a gas leak.)
- Battery Powered or Hand Crank Radio (NOAA weather radio preferably)
- Local Maps
- Dust Mask
- Plastic Sheeting
- Duct Tape
- Garbage Bags
- Fire Extinguisher
- Matches in a Waterproof Case
- Important Documents in Waterproof Container (Like birth certificates, social security card, deed, bonds, etc..)
- Chlorine Bleach (9 drops of water to 1 drop of bleach is a usable disinfectant and 16 drops of regular (no scents, color safe, or cleaners) bleach per gallon of waterto make it drinkable)
- Cash (keep small bills because no power = no atm or credit cards)
- Clothes shoes, long sleeve shirt, jeans, extra socks)
- Entertainment for Kids (If applicable)
- Extra Baby Supplies (If applicable)
- Pet Food
- EXTRA Oxygen
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR US TO BE PREPARED TO TAKE CARE OF OURSELVES UNTIL HELP ARRIVES. IT COULD BE AWHILE!