Indiana law defines a sex and violent offender a person who has been convicted of any of the following sex or violent offenses:
- Rape (IC 35-42-4-1)
- Criminal Deviate Conduct (IC 35-42-4-2)
- Child Molesting (IC 35-42-4-3)
- Child Exploitation (IC 35-42-4-4b)
- Vicarious Sexual Gratification (IC 35-42-4-5)
- Child Solicitation (IC 35-42-4-6)
- Child Seduction (IC 35-42-4-7)
- Sexual Misconduct with a Minor as a Class A, B, or C felony (IC 35-42-4-9)
- Incest (IC 35-46-1-3)
- Sexual Battery (IC 35-42-4-8)
- Kidnapping, if the victim is less than 18 (IC 35-42-3-2) or
- Criminal Confinement, if the victim is less than 18 (IC 35-42-3-3) ;
An individual who has been convicted of attempting to commit or conspiring to commit any of the above-listed offenses;
An individual who has been convicted of a crime, convicted of attempting to commit a crime, or convicted of conspiring to commit a crime under the laws of another state or in a military court that is substantially equivalent to any of the above-listed offenses; or a child who is at least 14 years of age and is on probation or parole or is discharged from a facility by the department of correction, discharged from a secure private facility, or discharged from a juvenile detention facility as a result of being adjudicated as a delinquent child for an act that would be an offense listed above if committed by an adult (see IC 31-37-1-1 to -2) and is found by a court to be likely to repeat an act that would be an offense listed above if committed by an adult ( IC 31-37-19-5 B -1)
The following sex and violent offenders are required to register with the Sheriff of the county that has jurisdiction where the offender intends to live, work or study for longer than seven days. That registration must occur within seven days of arriving in each jurisdiction where the offender intends to live, work or study.
- (A sex and violent offender who spends or intends to spend at least 7 days including part of a day) in Indiana during a 180 day period or an offender who owns real property in Indiana and returns to Indiana at any time,
- A sex and violent offender who works or carries on a vocation or intends to work or carry on a vocation in Indiana either full-time or part-time for more than 14 days in a row during any calendar year,
- A sex and violent offender who works or carries on a vocation or intends to work or carry on a vocation in Indiana either full-time or part-time for a total of more than 30 days whether or not they are in a row during any calendar year, and
- A sex and violent offender who is enrolled or intends to be enrolled on a full-time or part-time basis in any public or private educational institution in Indiana.
- A sex and violent offender who owns real property in Pike County.